Saturday 22 February 2014

I Don’t Hate Nigerians

A couple of years ago I stumbled across a stand-up comedy show by Chris Rock, I’m not a fan of his type of comedy because of the excess use of superlatives commonly called insults or cursing. Anyway in this comedy he was speaking on the subject of racism and he made a statement that at the time I thought was quite bold. He said “Black people are more racist than white people because black people hate black people too”. I giggled at the time and shrugged it off but the words stuck in my head. Over the past couple of days I have been drawn to think over the topic of racism and how it is still prevalent today and upon looking through the mirror of introspection I saw that I have been guilty of quite a bit of prejudice and as much as I would have liked to sugar coat it, I could sense the underlying problem of racism in the cracks. But this requires a bit of background

Black vs White, White vs White, Black vs Black. It's all wrong!

When I arrived at Cyprus International University it took me a while to realize the diversity that was on campus. We had 43 different nationalities represented, now we have somewhere over 50, and in the beginning it was exciting. I got to meet people from Swaziland, I had not met any before even though it is also in southern Africa. I got to meet people from Azerbaijan, Ukraine, Turkmenistan and a lot more and it fascinated me how different we all were. I noticed how Zambians were different from Zimbabweans even though we are neighbors and I met a lot of Nigerians. Of all of these nationalities the two that really fascinated me where the Azeri’s (Azerbaijan) and the Nigerians (Nigeria). They were strong willed, loud and were the most representative of their cultures.



Now diversity will either result in productivity or conflict, seldom do you find middle ground. And thanks to sin in the world conflict is present more often than not. Prejudice and racial issues have their heart in a failure to accept another person’s look, outlook or behavior and to put them below your own. It demeans the other person and elevates your view of yourself and people similar to you. These views get exaggerated in the presence of conflict. And I have seen this first hand on campus in statements such as I just don’t like, and this is me putting it mildly, people from so and so, where so and so is a country or a place. Nigerians suffer from such treatment more so than others, whether they know it or not. And its not even that the problem is them, I firmly believe if it wasn’t the Nigerians it would be some other nationality because the problem at the heart of it all is a failure to accept people who are different from us for who they are and where they come from.

Accept and appreciate the differences

Henry Fielding in his book A History of a Foundling: The story of Tom Jones wrote something that I have carried with me for years since I read the book in high school. He said, “When measuring a man’s actions do not use your own bushels, he might be using a different standard altogether”. Now whereas Fielding was speaking of a man’s intentions toward you and yours I think the phrase can be extended to the complete measuring of people. The world would be a pitiful place if everyone was like us, we enjoy so much from the symphony of diversity that God created around us. We enjoy ranges of color, different animals and plants and even among those animals and plants we see a variation of species and we accept them all. And yet very often we look at another person in terrible light because they are not like us, we accept variety on all things except human beings. It’s a pitiful situation.



Enough of the problem, let’s look at the way forward. We need to learn to accept other people for their differences be it difference in language, dress code, accent or even food and musical interests. If we keep confining ourselves to the small group that make us feel comfortable and understood we will never see all that is out there that we could benefit from and enjoy. We should also seek to learn from one another. I have learnt quite a bit from my friend from Azerbaijan, and yet if you spoke to me three years ago I just knew his country because of playing a game called “country game” at home. I have seen virtue in Nigerians that I have not seen in my own countrymen and it that is just what I have seen from two nationalities, not even the other fifty plus. Note to self, write something about what I have learnt from a number of people just before I graduate. Another thing we should acknowledge is God is infinitely smarter than all of us combined, he knew what he was doing when he made the world with so many diverse people groups, and it’s on us to enjoy the diversity.

Nuff said

Well and good we know the principle, now for the practice and this is the hardest part. Our prejudices will not be thrown aside overnight. It’s a lifelong battle, after all we are not too keen on things that are different from what we are used to. We should be able to go out of our way to talk to different people, there are tons of great people out there, we just need to open our mouths. Occasionally talk to a stranger, you never know who you might bump into and it does not always have to be someone of the opposite sex. There’s more to life than that, trust me. You can occasionally visit people, it never hurt anyone as I said before, there are tons of great people out there. Lastly walking out of your comfort zone every once in a while, it’s good for you

No comments:

Post a Comment